So far in our blog we have covered what piracy is, who it impacts, how it impacts, and what is being done to counter act piracy. We have talked about how it is bad to pirate, but I get the feeling this is all very redundant of what everyone has been hearing. So let’s look at pirating from a different stand point.
It’s all in vain! They can tell people it’s morally wrong, they can shut down sites, and they can try to make examples out of people that get caught pirating. This doesn’t do anything there is always another person waiting to risk it , and willing to figure out how to get around the rules. So why is the government and almost every media industry wasting their time trying to figure out how to stop it? It’s not going to happen. Companies spend thousands of dollars holding conferences, and hiring teams that are supposed to come up with ways to stop pirating. Yet as soon as the team comes up with a plan someone else finds a way to get around it. If we used the money for these conferences to employ more artists and in teams that discover talent. This isn't the first industry hit by stealing of product.
In the retail market almost all companies have a certain area in their budget that accounts for what they will lose in theft. In this case they are trying to come up with other ways to make up for what they lose. They attempt to have a better product that you want to pay for, and they also realize that there time can’t be wasted expecting society to be honest and trustworthy. Of course normal stores have surveillance as well as laws against shoplifting. Yet it still happens and this is what is happening in the online industries. They need to realize they can only set up so many laws and regulations until they all just become repetitive and no one cares anymore. So really all their anger and their attempts to stop what humans seem to do as second nature is in vain. What do you all think should companies worry so much about pirating of their product? At this point it seems pointless because as long as there is someone willing to find a way to get the product for free then the companies will continuously lose money.
Edwards, Joe. "Online Music Piracy Topic of Nashville Meeting - BusinessWeek."Businessweek - Business News, Stock Market & Financial Advice. Web. 20 Nov. 2011. <http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9OE6KOO0.htm>
2 comments:
That is an interesting perspective. I have never thought about actually using the money to stop pirates to find new talent. I certainly think that would be interesting. At the same time what happens if there is really no consequences. I would say for the most part that security hold back at least people who are "on the fence" about stealing.
Also from a companies perspective, I would feel like I am just acquiescing to an ongoing battle. Although catching pirates seems pointless and cumbersome I would have to disagree and say that companies should still protect intellectual rights. To also add I have never seen this type of surrender work anywhere in history, but then again I could be wrong.
I believe that companies should always worry about the prirating of their products;and figure out ways to try and stop it.
I do believe that they should come up with more tactful ways of preventing thieves from stealing their products, but as of now they are doing the best they can.
Post a Comment